Car Registration in Indiana is performed online or in person. You will need to be able to provide your title information, IN driver’s license, proof of car insurance, and payment for your registration fee. Vehicle emissions inspections are required every 2 years, and new Indiana residents will need to have a VIN inspection completed.
New in Indiana?
When you move to Indiana, you will have 60 days to complete registration in person at a branch of Indiana BMV. You must first have the name of Indiana on the vehicle in your name.
Vehicle Registration in Indiana
If you buy a car from a dealer, the dealer will handle the registration and change of the viewing angle of your new car, and collect your car registration fees as part of your purchase.
Car Registration in Indiana – Vehicles purchased from a private party
If you buy from a private individual, you will need to do the paperwork and register the car yourself. You can do it:
- Online, if your vehicle was purchased within the last 45 days, and the name of your application has already been submitted.
- In person, if you bought a car more than 45 days ago.
You can also name your car by mail.
Vehicle Registration Online
To register your car online, you must have the name of Indiana on the vehicle and register within 45 days of purchase.
Once your application has been submitted to the name, go to the online registration portal My BMV and either enter an existing My BMV account or create a new account. Be prepared to provide:
- The license number is your driving force in.
- Your name information about the car.
- Pay your registration fee (see “Vehicle registration fees section” below).
If you have not registered within 45 days, you must visit a branch in person BMV to get your car, truck, or other vehicle is registered.
Register Car in Person
If your vehicle was purchased over 45 days ago, or you have yet to title your vehicle in Indiana, go to an IN BMV office and submit:
- Your IN driver’s license.
- The original vehicle title.
- If you have not yet titled your vehicle in your name, you will also be required to submit additional titling paperwork and documentation. Check out our page on Indiana Title Transfers for more information.
- Proof of Indiana car insurance.
- Payment for all registration fees and taxes (see “Vehicle Registration Fees” below).
Check out the video——>How to Get a Car Registration: